Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): No such file or directory in /home/scouser/echoesandmirrors.com/wp-content/plugins/statpress/statpress.php on line 1191

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/scouser/echoesandmirrors.com/wp-content/plugins/statpress/statpress.php on line 1191

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): No such file or directory in /home/scouser/echoesandmirrors.com/wp-content/plugins/statpress/statpress.php on line 1194

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/scouser/echoesandmirrors.com/wp-content/plugins/statpress/statpress.php on line 1194

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): No such file or directory in /home/scouser/echoesandmirrors.com/wp-content/plugins/statpress/statpress.php on line 1197

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/scouser/echoesandmirrors.com/wp-content/plugins/statpress/statpress.php on line 1197
Echoes and Mirrors» Blog Archive » Sometimes, having a camera handy would be nice

Sometimes, having a camera handy would be nice

Such as yesterday (which I actually forgot to post about until I recalled it just a few moments ago) when I was pulling into my apartment complex. I followed in some sort of SUV with Virgin tags. The tag read as follows:

LOGAN6

Yes. It’s in reference to this epic film. If I had got a photo it would have been fucking amazing. I had to restrain myself from being a creepy neighbor guy and bum-rushing him to tell him how rad his license plate is. Perhaps if I see him in the parking lot again, I will do so.

Or maybe, in a style more suited to my personality, I will print a hundred or so screen captures from the film and stick them under his windshield wipers, one per day. Or maybe I’ll just steal his damn license plate for being so damn awesome. I really am tempted to do something strange.

Also, when I saw This Machine Is Me, the opening act was a little metal group called 11 Spirits. In the preceding two weeks, I have now encountered the lead singer in public on no less than four separate occasions. Should I start screaming “Robot Arms!” at him? (If you check out the myspace page, it’s the only song they have posted.) During the show, it was the one song that made both myself and Craig say, “Uhmm… is he saying robot arms?!” Craig asked. He was. And now this man haunts me with his damned robot arms.

And now, our country at a glance:
Former Chicago cop ‘splains it, doesn’t hold his punches:

This one could come from a punch extended halfway across the country, from a former Chicago cop who allegedly has been recorded on tape telling students at Colorado State University that beating suspects and paying off informants with drugs is just a way of life for police in “Chi-town.”

Dexter Yarbrough, a former Gresham District community policing officer, allegedly made the remarks to students in 2008 lectures taped by a graduate student, according to the campus student newspaper, The Rocky Mountain Collegian.

Which is, quite honestly, pretty fucking awesome. I loved The Shield all the way through season 3, when I got bored of television for the most part and sank into a hole of booze and gambling. Rock on, Chi-town!

The Fourth Amendment is somewhere, crying in a corner:

WASHINGTON—The Supreme Court ruled Monday that police officers have leeway to frisk a passenger in a car stopped for a traffic violation even if nothing indicates the passenger has committed a crime or is about to do so.

The court on Monday unanimously overruled an Arizona appeals court that threw out evidence found during such an encounter.

Uhm, how’s that work?

The justices accepted Arizona’s argument that traffic stops are inherently dangerous for police and that pat-downs are permissible when an officer has a reasonable suspicion that the passenger may be armed and dangerous.

The pat-down is allowed if the police “harbor reasonable suspicion that a person subjected to the frisk is armed, and therefore dangerous to the safety of the police and public,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said.

Ohh… of course. Anytime a police officer speaks with a civilian it’s a dangerous situation and the civilian should be frisked, regardless. Wait, did I skip a step? My bad, but I’m not into that much foreplay, friend.

And Connecticut wants to decriminalize marijuana:

Two prominent lawmakers pushing for reform of the state’s marijuana laws have a potent new ally: the budget deficit.

Sen. Toni Harp, chairwoman of the powerful appropriations committee, and Senate Majority Leader Martin Looney hope economics will succeed where other arguments have failed in convincing their colleagues that the costs of prosecuting and punishing pot smokers is an expense Connecticut can no longer afford.

“We’ve got to take a strong look at what we want to pay for as a state,” said Harp, D- New Haven, who with Looney is co-sponsoring a bill that would punish low-level marijuana users with a fine, not a criminal charge.

And it’s for a reason you can’t object to on moral grounds: fiscal responsibility. Take that, society! (I’m actually stupified that I had no idea there was a ‘c’ in the middle of Connecticut. It’s just not a state name I think I’ve ever typed before, in my life. What the hell is wrong with you Connecticut? I actually want to pronounce it connect-a-cut, now. Blast!)

Also, I kinda just rolled all my posts for today into one gratuitous post. Dig it.

Share
0 comments